Image via pixabay.com
I used to think that the best cake pans were all about the same, but this couldn’t be more wrong. As a fan of baking, a bit of research quickly showed me just how many options there are. With technology rushing forward the way it is these days, we can’t expect our baking to stay behind!
We have many different types of cakes nowadays and they all require different baking styles. That doesn’t just mean the ingredients, but also the tools on hand.
If you get the best cake pans after the right kind of research, you’ll soon be baking perfect cakes. This will also improve your reputation as a baking aficionado.
Whether you’re a novice in the kitchen or planning to go on the next Masterchef, the perfect cake pan for you is out there. Let’s explore more about what to look for as well as some of the top options today:
Baking Cakes With Love: How To Choose The Right Cake Pan
When you’re on the lookout for the best cake pans for your baking needs, you have to watch out for several factors. Cakes usually come with a lot of requirements, so you have to get the right ingredients, temperature, creaming techniques, and several other aspects if you want to get a perfect result.
The best cake pans can help you with most of the steps required for baking the perfect cake every single time, so you should consider the factors below before you press that “order” button:
The best cake pans should be deep enough for achieving the results you need. You might want to get that professional effect by splitting your sponge cake into three layers and sandwiching some gorgeous buttercream frosting in between.
A deep cake pan will allow your cake to rise up as much as possible. That way, the batter won’t spill over in the process.
Opting for a deep pan also makes for a versatile option. Even if you want a shallow cake, a tall pan will work in a pinch. Some chefs might even want to use the depth for molded desserts which don’t require baking. These include cheesecakes, ice-cream cake, and other no-bake options.
The best cake pans come in all sizes and shapes, but the material is what controls the temperature while baking.
Anodized aluminum is an excellent choice because it won’t react to acidic ingredients. Such ingredients include buttermilk, lemon juice, citrus peel, natural cocoa powder, and brown sugar. Basically, these are all those ingredients that may help you bake mouthwatering cakes.
A non-stick nesting cake pan is the most common choice you can find. While it might be the most cost-effective option out there, it won’t give you professional results.
These pans might cause the cake batter to heat very rapidly. That can result in a gummy layer, an overdeveloped crust, and a wrinkled surface. You may be able to disguise these flaws with lots of frosting — but the taste will speak for itself.
With aluminized steel, you get a very light wrinkling as opposed to the generic non-stick options. Your bottom crust will remain light, airy, and generally more professional in appearance plus taste. However, these are usually quite expensive and not as versatile as the nonstick varieties.
Before ordering one of the best cake pans, you should choose the one that has straight sides. Curved sides result in curved cake sides as well. This might look nice at first, but trust me when I say the frosting experience may become much harder!
Plus, you’ll need straight
sidaaes if you’re using the pan as a mold for cold desserts. It’s quite hard to get anything out of these pans without breaking, and curved sides will make that nearly impossible.
If your recipe calls for an 8-inch pan, that’s what you’ll have to use. Some of the best cake pans come in sets of two or three, so you’ll hopefully have an option there.
With the wrong amount of batter in your pan, you risk making your cakes thinner, uneven, and generally not perfect because the batter sets faster when you underfill the pan. That may result in cracks and/or bubbles in the cake crust.
Finally, the shape of the best cake pans is yet another important factor that you must consider beforehand. Different shapes allow you to get creative with your baking, so you should decide according to what you usually bake.
If there’s a demand for your sheet cakes, a rectangular pan is an obvious way to go. For tall cakes, you probably want a round pan with a bit of depth.
There are also Bundt cake pans, angel food cake pans, and many other shapes. You may check them out one at a time. This way, you’ll be able to see which ones are the best for you and your oven.
How We Reviewed The Cake Pans That Are Chefs’ Favorites
To get you the best cake pans, we’ve picked out some of the most highly-rated options on Amazon. Most of these are straight-sided, with different shapes and materials leading to various price ranges. That results in a wide selection that contains the best cake pans for everyone’s baking requirements.
You can also rest assured of the quality for each cake pan, as none of them have an Amazon rating of less than 4 out of 5 stars. That means the user experience is excellent, so we can accurately judge how these pans will fare in your kitchen.
10 Cake Pan Options That Deserve Your Look
The best cake pans might vary according to the individual baker. You can find your perfect cake companion on the following list:
1. USA Pan Bakeware Cake Pan
- USA Pan baking pans feature Americoat which promotes quick release of baked-goods plus fast and easy clean up; wash with hot water, mild soap and gentle scrub brush or sponge
- Nonstick Americoat coating - a patented silicone coating which is PTFE, PFOA and BPA free - provides quick and easy release of all baked-goods and minimal easy clean up
- Made in the USA; measures 8 inches diameter x 2.25 inches
- USA Pan is a Bundy family company which has proudly manufactured high quality bakeware and provided jobs in the USA for over 50 years
The USA Pan Bakeware Cake Pan is a perfect choice if you want to go low-maintenance and hassle-free.
The bottom here has a corrugated or fluted pattern, which is instrumental in getting you the best cake result. While it strengthens the pan itself and prevents warping, a bottom like this also ensures even heat distribution.
This rounded cake pan is made of aluminized steel material. This material is durable, reliable, and covered with a nonstick coating made of silicone. All this means that the cake will release quite easily, which is what we’d expect from a pan with an Amazon rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
You’ll also love its coating, which makes cleanup a breeze. The price range starts at $ and goes up to $, which might be quite staggering. The limited lifetime warranty is a plus, though there are some complaints about rusting. This probably won’t happen if you don’t leave the pan wet for too long.
2. Fat Daddio’s Anodized Aluminum Cake Pans
- Heats faster and cools quicker
- Non-reactive 16 gauge anodized aluminum
- No extra metals or chemical coatings
- Safe for citrus based foods
- Lifetime warranty
Fat Daddio’s Anodized Aluminum Cake Pans are the darling of many baking bloggers, so why shouldn’t they be the same for you? These are made of aluminum, which is excellent for quick heating up and cooling down. This material will also make sure to reflect heat properly, resulting in fewer hot spots.
Natural aluminum easily corrodes and may also react with tomatoes, citrus fruits, and other acidic substances. However, these pans are anodized, which makes them safe for all kinds of cakes. The process also made it durable, resistant to rust, and very versatile.
The Amazon rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars assures us high quality with these 3-inch deep pans.
The price of these round pans ranges from $ to $ for two pans. We think this is quite a bargain. The only somewhat negative point we can see is the profusion of stickers on the pans. These could be challenging to remove, but of course, they don’t affect the baking performance.
3. Wilton Recipe Right Oblong Cake Pan
- MAKE THE PERFECT CAKE: Whether baking for a birthday, the holidays or for family, treat yourself to a pan than makes your time in the kitchen enjoyable. No matter if you like banana cake, chocolate cake or apple cake, you’ll have a great pan you can depend on.
- STEEL CONSTRUCTION: This bakeware is built with all the right qualities for great baking results. Whether baking a cake for a loved-one’s special day or just for yourself, you can depend on this quality pan.
- NON-STICK SURFACE: Features a non-stick surface with a coating that provides a quick and clean release of your tasty treats and makes cleanup a breeze.
- USE AND CARE INSTRUCTIONS: This bakeware is dishwasher safe; however, for best results hand wash before first and after each use in warm, soapy water. Rinse and towel dry. Please do not put in the microwave.
- EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE, EVERY DAY: Innovative products. Mouthwatering inspiration. Fun in the kitchen. This has been at the heart of what we do for nearly 90 years. Whether you’re hosting a party or need to bring a special treat, Wilton has you covered.
The Wilton Recipe Right Oblong Cake Pan is a nonstick option that measures about 9 by13 inches. It comes in a pack of two. So, you have the option of baking two proper cake layers at the same time.
The nonstick coating makes for easy cleaning and a quick release for any cake. However, you should remember that you’re not supposed to clean this with metal scrubbers.
While some people might not like their cake pans in a nonstick version, many users actually do. That’s why Wilton gets an Amazon rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars for this product. With the price range starting at $ and going up to $, you’re getting a sizeable discount these days.
Given the price, the five-year limited warranty is quite impressive. We recommend hand-washing it before and after every use, though it’s also dishwasher safe. One downside that we see here is that some stains tend to appear on its sides. This won’t affect the performance but will bring down the appearance.
4. Hiware Non-stick Springform Pan
- VERSATILE FOR INSTANT POT. Our 7-inch springform pan is perfect and widely used for instant pot 6Qt or 8Qt pressure cookers. It is an indispensable baking partner in the stove and oven (oven safe to 450℉) , helping you make flawless, delicious food with the right equipment.
- HEALTHY COATING. The Non-stick coating is a food grade safety coating with no harsh chemicals or hazardous substances. The true double layer coating allows the cake be easily removed without damage. Avoid making it difficult to clean the cake because it sticks to the pan or leaves a lot of cake residue.
- THE STAINLESS SPRINGFORM BUCKLE PROVIDES SMOOTH, EASY RELEASE. The stainless steel springform buckle has been upgraded which is stronger and easier to switch but will not fall off or crack, allowing the cake to be pulled out perfectly with little effort.
- INCLUDE 50 PIECES OF PARCHMENT PAPER. If you are a fan of traditional baking, congratulations, the parchment paper will bring back the traditional baking experience. To prevent the cake from sticking to the chassis, combine with other designs to remove the perfect cake while also sucking away excess oil, less oil means less fat and better health.
- MAKING IT YOUR FAVOURITE BAKING TOOL. Now this is the proven choice in restaurant and bakery kitchens and is also the useful gadget for DIY desserts and food if you love baking stuff like cheese cake, yogurt cake, mousse, coffee cake, lasagna, quiche, paella, cookies, fruit pie, pecan pie and any similar recipe. And it also makes a great and practical gift for your friends.
This Hiware Non-stick Springform Pan measures seven inches across and comes with that delightful springform feature.
With this sort of design, what matters the most is that the pan should be leakproof when closed. You don’t want any batter leaking out, whether it’s a molded cold dessert or a proper cake in the making.
Fortunately, the Amazon rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars assures that there will be no worries of leaking. Having a price range of $ to $, this is a relatively reasonable option. Besides, you can even place it inside a 6-quart or 8-quart pressure cooker.
The nonstick coating means that you can make any kind of cake, cheesecake, quiche, mousse, and several other recipes. You can bake without having to risk breakage or spillage. Plus, this pan will release quite easily and clean up without a hitch.
The only catch is that you’re not supposed to fill the pan too full. That means you should be prepared for smaller cakes than usual.
5. OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Cake Pan
- Commercial grade, heavy gauge aluminized steel provides fast, even heat distribution and lasting durability and stability
- Swiss engineered PTFE, ceramic reinforced, 2 layer, commercial grade coating provides the ultimate non stick food release and is scratch, stain, corrosion and abrasion-resistant
- Micro textured pattern ensures even baking by minimizing surface contact and promoting airflow
- Square rolled edges add strength and offer a secure grip for easy transfer to and from oven
- Visible pan dimension markings on top surface allow for quick and easy size identification. This pan makes perfect sheet cakes or rectangular loaves
The OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Cake Pan is among the best cake pans according to a good many online reviews. If you’re a home chef looking for a versatile option, you should definitely check this one out.
We especially adore the unique pattern on the bottom here. It’s micro-textured to allow for even airflow and professional baking results. The edges have a square rolled design, which protects the whole thing from warping too easily.
With the two-layered nonstick coating, the Amazon rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars is no surprise. Even prolonged use wouldn’t be able to scratch, stain, or otherwise damage this pan. The price range is between $ and $, which is expected for this level of durability.
However, you’ll have to take precautions that are required for maintaining nonstick kitchen tools in order to make it last. For instance, you should wash these cake pans by hand and take care not to use metal scrubbers.
6. Chicago Metallic 16184 Professional Angel Food Cake Pan
- 2-PIECE CAKE PAN: This Chicago Metallic Angel Food cake pan is 9.5 inches in diameter and features a two-piece tube design, perfect for baking angel food and Bundt cakes; pan hold approximately 16 cups or can prepare one boxed cake mix.
- CREATE BEAUTIFUL AND AIRY CAKES: When this pan is inverted, the feet allow the cake to evenly cool; air circulates underneath for easy release
- NON-STICK COATING: Made from heavy-weight aluminized steel for superior heat conduction and even baking, this angel food cake pan set features an easy release, silicone based, non-stick coating for ease of baking and cleanup
- MEASURMENTS: This pan measures 9.5-inch by 4-inch and is heat safe up to 450 degrees F (232 degrees C).
- DISHWASHER SAFE: This pan is dishwasher safe, however hand-washing is recommended to extend the product life.
You’ll need the Chicago Metallic 16184 Professional Angel Food Cake Pan if you plan to make this particular type of cake.
We like the fact that it comes in a two-pack. However, these 9.5-inch pans are perfect for the specific requirements of angel food cake. So, we would say they’re worth the price that ranges from $ to $.
This pan has a tube in its middle, which helps in even baking. With this additional surface area, your delicate cake can rise properly. Plus, it can get the even heating it needs for proper baking.
There are some little feet that go above the pan rim. That’s because you need to cool angel food cakes properly, in an upside-down manner, or they’ll collapse.
With these useful features, the Amazon rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars is well-deserved. But there might be an issue of quality, as the material is not the highest chef grade option.
7. Last Confection Deep Round Aluminum Cake Pan
- Superior heat distribution: Extra thick, seamless even-wall construction creates superb heat distribution for your batter, ensuring your cake rises both level and flat. In addition, these professional-quality cake pans retain even baking temperatures preventing overbaking or gummy centers. These cake pans cool quickly for delicious and flawless results every time you bake.
- Non-reactive anodized aluminum: Perfect for cake batters containing acidic ingredients such as vinegar, lemon juice, chocolate, buttermilk, coffee, brown sugar, fruits, and vegetables. Anodizing creates a nonreactive surface that prevents any discoloration and protects the flavor of your baked goods. Last Confection cake pans are free of extra metals, welds, and chemical coatings.
- Straight-sided design: Create right-angle edges on your cakes for uniform slices and perfect layer cakes. The straight-edge results make decorating cakes and frosting around the sides a breeze with consistent coverage. Bake dense, heavy cakes such as cheesecake or carrot cake, light and airy layer cakes, or even get creative with deep dish pizza, flan, and gelatin molded desserts with these multi-purpose pans. Lightly grease the pans or use parchment paper for easy release.
- Versatile baking essential: Featuring rolled edges for ease of use. These cake pans are perfect for baking wedding cakes, birthday cakes, and layered cakes. They can also be used with your pressure cooker or air fryer, and they are freezer safe. These round cake pans can take the place of many specialty baking pans.
- Easy to clean: Forget about scrubbing baked-on foods, save time and effort with these cake pans that wipe clean quickly with warm water and mild dish detergent. Hand wash and dry thoroughly after use.
The 4 by 2-inch Last Confection Deep Round Aluminum Cake Pan is one of the smallest options on this list, but you can get it in larger sizes. For now, though, we love the thick and seamless wall construction that gives you the necessary heat distribution.
There are no extra welds, metals, or chemicals to make your cakes dangerous, which means that you can bake up and enjoy without worrying.
We’re impressed by the Amazon rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars here, especially since the pan is so small. The price range of $7 and $37 is quite reasonable, which is only fair considering the dimensions.
The lack of welds does mean that the space between the bottom and the side walls is slightly round. As a result, cleanup might be an issue, while the cake top wouldn’t come out as a clean and neat line.
8. Nordic Ware Leakproof Springform Pan
- 9-inch non stick coated springform pan holds 10 cups
- Tight seal helps to prevent messy spills
- Nonstick coating for easy food release and cleanup
- Hand wash with mild detergent
- Globally sourced
The Nordic Ware Leakproof Springform Pan is one of the more responsible options you can get on this list. This particular one is a standard 9-inch, 10-cup size and made of aluminum for even heat distribution.
The Amazon rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars is decent enough. Of course, this is all the more reason why you can use this pan for cold desserts like no-bake cheesecakes.
However, the price range starts from $22 and goes up to $55. That means that you have to be serious about frequent baking in order to justify this investment.
We can see an issue with the slightly raised bottom, though. It is elevated for better sealing, but it will take away a bit of room. However, the inconvenience is trifling at best.
9. Mrs. Anderson’s Baking 43633 Cake Pan
- Mrs. Anderson's Fluted Silicone Cake Pan for baking bundt cake, coffee cake, streusel recipes and gelatin molds with quick release and easy cleanup
- Higher tested European-grade silicone is stronger, more flexible and durable to maintain its original shape and non-stick qualities through more uses
- Makes 9-inch cakes; great for baking bundt cakes, coffee cake, ambrosia salad, jello recipes, and more
- Sturdy design stands on its own; flexes to pop out foods with ease; naturally non-stick for quick release; no stuck-on foods or messy cleanup
- BPA free; instructions included; safe for use in the freezer, microwave and oven (to 500-degrees Fahrenheit); dishwasher safe for easy cleanup
This 9-inch Mrs. Anderson’s Baking 43633 Cake Pan is yet another fluted option, but this one is made completely of food-grade silicone. The material is dishwasher safe and BPA-free. It has an Amazon rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
You can get this pan for a price range of $ and $. You can use it for any recipe that requires easy release, quick cleanup, and hassle-free operation. Even long-term use isn’t enough to make this pan warp or bend out of shape.
The only downside might be that the pan is a bit floppy while handling. However, it’s still sturdy enough to stand on its own, so a bit of practice is all you need.
10. Tebery Non-Stick Round Cake Pan
- Heavy-weight carbon-steel construction provides durability and fast, even heating for uniform browning.
- Non-stick surface for easy release and quick cleanup. Oven-safe to 450 degrees F.
- Added wide rounded handles to our cake baking pans to make handling easy and baking effortless.
- Easy to clean and Hand-wash recommended; To protect the nonstick coating, be sure to use nylon, wooden, or coated utensils, and avoid using metal utensils, scouring pads, or abrasive cleaners.
- Each measures 7-3/4 by 1-1/2 inches,value pack of 3. Great for baking cake, pizza, pie and more!
The Tebery Non-Stick Round Cake Pan measures around eight inches across, which is perfect for most recipes. You get a nonstick surface here, along with wide and rounded handles for easy operation. The steel construction is heavy-weight, which is perfect for even heat distribution.
The Amazon rating of the Tebery Cake Pan is 4.4 out of 5 stars. This rating is definitely a testament to the pan’s durability and quick heating. The price ranges from $28 to $55, but it’s still worthwhile because this is a set with three pans. Overall, we think this set is a nice bargain for everyday baking purposes.
One issue here might be that the pans are on the light side. That doesn’t affect their results, but the heaviness is usually a sign of quality in such kitchen tools. Nevertheless, the smooth transition of the cakes is what wins us over with this option.
Baking It To Perfection: Which Brand Will Produce The Yummiest Cake?
Now that we’ve talked about the best cake pans, it’s time to choose the best option for your kitchen. This obviously depends upon what you’re baking.
But we might recommend the Fat Daddio’s Anodized Aluminum Round Cake Pans for an overall perfect result.
Image source: Pexels
If you want to bake angel food cakes, you should choose the Chicago Metallic 16184 Professional Angel Food Cake Pan.
In fact, you may want to grab any of the options above before your next baking session. So, you should start ordering for the best cake pan before throwing a sweet tooth party at home!
Have you tried any of the cake pans on our list? Share your experiences in the comments below!
Image via pixabay.com
Last update on 2022-06-27 at 10:38 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API